Since the outbreak of the pandemic, actions have been taken in a timely and flexible fashion to adapt our airports to a new way of travelling and to the new needs of passengers, who are growing increasingly health conscious. Since then, we have adopted all measures to contain the infection of the virus. We resumed operations with a renewed focus on the health of our passengers and ensuring their safety at all times.
Our commitment, our response
In compliance with the provisions of Italian national and local Health Authorities and Institutions, the SEA Group has constantly updated the protocols drawn up at the beginning of the pandemic on the basis of current regulations and aspects related to airport operations and traffic development, guaranteeing the health and safety of passengers, customers, suppliers and employees while ensuring business continuity.
Actions taken for employees, customers and suppliers
- Temperature checks at the terminal entrance.
- Increase in airport cleaning and sanitizing.
- Change in airport paths and the number of seats available, as well as the introduction of procedures to ensure social distancing (e.g. “Keep your distance” floor stickers).
- Installation of protective plexiglass screens at all counters.
- Installation of hand sanitizer dispensers.
- Copper coating of the most exposed surfaces, due to its antiviral properties.
- Introduction of CT scanners, Face Boarding check-in, UV-C lights and automated systems to facilitate checks, sanitation and airport accessibility.
- Launch of an information campaign on the measures adopted and how to act at the airport.
- Adoption of relief measures for commercial partners.
- Measures to protect the health of employees, such as: free screening, antibody and molecular testing, flu vaccination campaign, insurance coverage in case of a positive Covid-19 diagnosis.
- Participation in a multicentre medical research project, approved by the Insubria Ethics Committee, aimed at testing and validating the use of Rapid Saliva Tests to detect the virus.
The Milan airports achieved important certifications for their commitment to health and adoption of safety measures:
- Hygiene Synopsis, issued by TÜV SUD and implemented in accordance with the main international aviation recommendations, including ICAO, EASA, and ACI EUROPE.
- Airport Health Accreditation issued by Airports Council International, the association representing airports around the world.
- ACI World’s Voice of the Customer, an initiative awarding airports that made listening to their passengers a priority during the pandemic.
Digitisation and touchless technology
The pandemic has expedited the airport operation and process digitalisation effort we had already started at Malpensa and Linate before the health emergency to deliver an increasingly touchless, responsive and safe travel experience.
Following the introduction of Faceboarding, i.e., a biometric facial recognition system that allows passengers to board the aircraft without showing any ID, we installed new machines with CAT technology for checking carry-on baggage. They avoid having to open a passenger’s luggage to take out liquids, creams, PCs and iPads at security checks. Shortly, the new machines will also be installed at the Malpensa airport. Increased security effectiveness has reduced waiting times, crowding and surface contact. At Malpensa, on the other hand, the self-service bag drop system allows checked baggage to be loaded independently without the assistance of ground staff. Finally, at both airports, all surfaces most likely to come into contact with people were coated with copper, known for its antibacterial and antiviral properties. A number of tools leveraging digital applications have also been introduced, such as the digital luxury marketplace – enabling passengers to book products remotely from the catalogues of the brands that take part in the initiative – and the new methods being studied in conjunction with catering partners, such as food booking via app and fast-track pick-up at points of sale.
Technological systems that can make the journey smoother while ensuring the protection and safety of our passengers.